When I first saw this bike something about it stood out to me right away. When I gave the bike another look I started noticing the attention to detail that Dave has put into this Honda cafe racer. When David first got this bike, it looked nothing like it does now. The bike was already modified by the previous owner and it did not look like the previous owner cared much about the little details.
Now let’s take a step back to when Dave first started looking for a bike. David did not have a specific bike in mind that he wanted. He was just looking for something that would be fun to take to work and cruse around on. So after searching on craigslist Dave noticed a non-running cb750 for sale. This bike has been just sitting for a few years untouched. After checking and making sure the motor was not seized up. Dave ended up buying the bike and trailering it home. At that point he started with the basics to see if he could start the bike. He did the basics like cleaned out the carbs, gas tank and switched out the battery for a new one. Walla the bike was once again running.
Dave then begin daily driving it and was not really interested in rebuilding it, until about 8 months into riding the bike. He began to have this desire to start rebuilding the bike with newer parts and possibly modifying a couple things. So Dave got started on the essentials. The carburetor slides where stuck, the blinkers would not work at all, and the front breaks needed rebuilding. So Dave took care of these issues and continued to ride till the end of the year. That was when he decided to take the bike and to do a full restoration to it.
So David started with taking the engine out of the frame and rebuilding it. The bike already had an oil leak from the head. So he took of the head to fix that issue and notice that he also had Wiseco’s 836cc pistons already in the bike; witch was a plus. Then he removed the cylinder head and took it to a nearby shop. They re-cut valve seats, replaced valve guides, lapped valves and cleaned up head. They also looked at the cylinder jugs and told him they were in good enough condition that he can just hone them himself.
So David then put his motor back together and began prepping it for paint. To do that he spent three whole days with a 3M pad and a bunch of air plane thinner. He wanted to do an excellent job on prep so that there would not be any issues during painting. Now that it came time to do the painting David ended up using VHT high temp primer and VHT wrinkle black paint.
After painting the engine the rims where next in line for some color. For the rims David went ahead and took them apart and powder coated them a rich golden color. Next was the seat. David found a picture of a seat that he wanted and took the picture with him to a nearby upholstery shop. They meet his expectations and did a great job.
Now for Some performance parts. David wanted a lower sporty look so he lowered his bike about an inch and a half up front and got shorter rear shocks. This was a good looking stance but David later realized that lowering the rear too much actually makes for worse handling. David also purchased a megaphone exhaust that he later switched out for a Moto gp Werks 4-1 exhaust due to clearance issues. Another great modification that was done to the bike was getting the ignition points replaced to a Dynatek Electronic Ignition.
After taking that closer look at the bike I now see why this bike had my attention. It was David’s attention to detail and his eye for design that makes this bike stand out.